Please review these simple recommendations designed to enhance your Grand Spa experience and make your visit a relaxing, comfortable and memorable one.
1. Book in advance: To avoid disappointments, book your spa treatments well in advance of your visit. Our reservations and guest services staff are knowledgeable about all spa therapies and will assist you with any questions.
2. Medical Conditions: Please advise the Spa of any medical condition before booking your treatment. If you have recently had cancer, surgery, are pregnant or have problems with circulation, blood pressure, heart disease or deep vein thrombosis, please consult your doctor before receiving a spa treatment. On arrival to The Grand Spa it is a requisite to complete a medical medical form before your spa treatment. If you have booked a facial, please tell your therapist if you wear contact lenses.
3. Be kind to your skin: Sunbathing, waxing or shaving can all increase your skin's sensitivity and could affect your enjoyment of a spa treatment. Avoid exposure to the sun and allow at least 24 hours after waxing before your spa appointment.
4. Plan ahead: Avoid alcohol consumption on the day of your appointment and refrain from eating for at least an hour before a treatment. Remove all jewelry and store it in a the safe deposit box. Leave your mobile phone in your room or turn it off while in the spa.
5. Punctuality: Arrive to the spa at least 30 minutes before your appointment to allow time to change, shower and use the thermal Jacuzzi. After your treatments, leave enough time to experience the relaxation area.
6. Therapists: if you enjoyed a treatment performed by a particular therapist, feel free to request that person for your next appointment.
7. To disrobe or not to disrobe: The Grand Spa provides a robe and slippers to wear during your visit. Spa-going is an intimate experience and it is important that you feel relaxed and comfortable at all times. Nudity during a treatment is perfectly acceptable in most spas, and disposable underwear is available for use during body treatments. If you do decide to go au naturel for a treatment, you will be modestly covered with towels. If you prefer wearing a swimsuit during a treatment, please be sure that it is safe for exposure to oils, mud or creams. The therapist will gladly leave the room to ensure your privacy at any point during the treatment, upon request. To use the Jacuzzi in our relaxation area please wear your swimsuit.
8. Communicate: If the music, level of light, temperature or pressure of the massage is not quite as you would like, tell your therapist. Feel free to ask questions, or to remain quiet and perhaps drift off to sleep.
9. Children Policies: people under 12 years old are not allowed to receive spa treatments.
The Ritual of the Spa
Well-being is firmly embedded in the traditions and rituals of our lives. The spa experience is a natural extension of nurturing the whole self, creating a complete physical and emotional journey, with the body, mind and spirit addressed and treated simultaneously. At the Grand Spa at Tabacon, we believe that both the mind and body must be relaxed to effect healing. We prepare you for this journal
Taking the Waters
"The origin of the term "spa" is often debated. Some argue the world is an acronym for "salus per aquam", Latin for "health through water"; others have suggested that it is derived from the Belgian town of Spa, known since Roman times for its thermal baths and as a place for physical rejuvenation. While the true origins of the Word continue to be debated, the long-standing relationship between spas and the therapeutic powers of water is clear." Conde Nast Johansens - Luxury Spas 2009, page 67
The Grand Spa at Tabacon is no exception and we utilize the benefits of our surrounding water to offer several hydrotherapy treatments. At the base of the active Arenal Volcano in La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica, Tabacon's natural thermal river flows through the grounds, cascading down waterfalls and forming inviting hot springs pools and lagoons that you can also enjoy after your spa treatments.